Trending Home Security Technology for 2020
Homes should be a place where everyone feels completely safe and protected. As a homeowner, you would want to be sure that your home and possessions will be secured while you’re away. Theft, burglary, and robbery are some common issues that every homeowner deal with.
According to a report by the UN Office on Drugs and Crime, the average theft rate in the Philippines from 2003 – 2016 was 50 thefts per 100,000 people with a minimum of 9 thefts per 100,000 people in 2007 and a maximum of 127 thefts per 100,000 people in 2013.
In order to have peace of mind about the security of your family and property while you are away, you need to invest in home security technologies. In this article, we will take a look at the latest home security technologies worth investing in.
Closed Circuit TV Cameras
CCTV cameras help keep you updated about what is happening on your property. It adds an extra layer of awareness and security. CCTV uses a video camera for monitoring and recording of events. With a CCTV, you can still see what is going on in your house while you are away.
Full-color HD cameras can easily help you identify and monitor intruders entering your home. CCTV footage can be accessed from your phone or computer because a new camera comes with network connectivity. Make sure that the CCTV is able to record low-light footage. Most burglars strike at night and it is important for the camera to have high-resolution low-light capabilities.
- Battery-powered Cameras. Battery-powered CCTVs can last up to six months depending on the model. It can also double as a nanny cam for your children because it is portable.
- 4G LTE Cameras. This type of camera connects with mobile data. It can help save up on your local bandwidth.
- PTZ Cameras. With PTZ cameras, you can control the pan, tilt, zoom of the camera through the software.
- Bullet Security Cameras. This camera is usually installed outdoors. Bullet security cameras do not have the ability to pan so it may require manual adjustment. The horizontal viewing angle can be adjusted to 80 degrees and 40 degrees vertically.
- Dome IP Cameras. Dome cameras are usually hard to spot. It offers a panoramic and distorted view.
Motion detectors or sensors are able to identify unauthorized movement without using security cameras. Motion detectors can easily detect home intrusion from the window, door, patio, or balcony. Motion detectors keep your surrounding well-lit without spiking your energy consumption. There are three kinds of motion detectors.
- Passive Infrared. Passive infrared motion sensors use temperature changes between movement and background. It uses a Fresnel lens giving it a wide detection area.
- Microwave. These sensors use continuous waves of microwave radiation to detect movement. It emits high radio frequency to measure the reflection of an object by sensing abnormalities in the frequency shift. Upon shift detection, the alarm goes off.
- Hybrid. Hybrid motion detectors combine the features of microwave and passive infrared motion detectors. It helps reduce the number of false alarms you will get.
Easy to install and comes with a bevy of features, smart doorbells are internet-capable. It allows access to a live video feed of your door from any location.
Smart locks fully automate entry and exit in your home. It maintains a log of the lock activity so you can be sure that only authorized persons access your home. Each member of the house can use different codes. There are three kinds of smart locks:
- Keypad/Combination Locks. These types of locks require a pin code in order to unlock the door
- Keyless/Wireless Locks. Wireless locks use WiFi to remotely lock and unlock doors. Newer models allow connecting to a smart home hub for a fully optimized experience.
- Biometric Locks. This home lock technology uses fingerprints to lock and unlock doors. Fingerprints cannot be replicated or altered.
Automatic Gate Systems
With an automatic gate, you don’t have to get out of your car or bother a sleeping family member to open the gate. An automatic gate also helps you identify guests using a telephone interface. You can let visitors enter using an automated keypad entry system.
Investing in home security technologies is one of the ways you can keep your family and property protected from unauthorized intrusion and criminal elements.